Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Spilling beer on the youngsters at the Marquee

I am ashamed to say that I have lived in Tempe for most of my life, yet until Friday I had never been to the Marquee Theatre. The concert that finally got me to go to the popular music venue in Tempe happened to be the Arctic Monkeys, not because I'm a huge fan but because my friend got tickets.

My friends and I parked at the Towers and walked to the concert to avoid a potentially packed parking situation, and we had some trouble right at the door. My friend had been given a receipt instead of a ticket at the box office, and he was turned away from the concert by an overzealous security guard who was convinced he was giving him attitude. Minus one, my roommate and I went into the venue anyway.

The foyer has the bar, and main room with the stage at the front is circular. The venue seems too small to hold all of the screaming fans, but there is a great view of the stage from any point in the room. This particular concert drew mostly college students who, judging from the amount of lyrics known, were like me and were only familiar with one or two of the Arctic Monkey's most famous songs.

The venue was pretty enjoyable, and was definitely one of the best places I've been to see a concert. The crowd was pretty fun, minus getting my toes stepped on and beer spilled on me, which is to be expected at any concert. Next time there is a band that I'm dying to see, I'll make sure to get tickets well in advance – and who knows, by the time I go again, maybe I'll get to the be the one spilling the beer.
— Megan Hunt

No comments: